Thursday, August 30, 2012

Prayer warriors

-Post about Christian faith ahead-

My mother reminds me that the only reason I got into the school of my choice as 6 year old, who was the third child during a time when the government was intent on people stopping at two, was prayer. I remember kneeling (as I had seen in books), by our big French windows and praying that God give me a space in the school which had blue and white uniform. As a 6 year old, very little else mattered.

And because God hears the prayers of little children, I got in.

Fast forward 30 years, I tell my twins to pray for their school. Next year I will get them to start praying about Primary One. Their school might shut down. Saying that I hope it won't, is an understatement. So, because much of it is out of our hands, all we can do is pray.

And I get the children to pray. I've prayed with them. And two days ago, I found them building a little table out of an upturned box and a blanket. When I asked them what it was, they said 'an alter'. My five year olds knowing what an alter is, is quite surprising and amazing.

So I asked, what they needed the alter for. They said to pray. And began to pray. Their prayers sound like mine. Beginning with thanks. Then they started praying for other people and finally St James. The thought in my head at that point was that there was no prouder moment than this and there was no greater testament of the impact of their school than this. Then it occured to me to record it.

By the time I scampered back with the phone to video them, they had said Amen. But when I asked them again to pray, they did. And while this wasn't as moving as the authentic prayer, this was pretty cool too.



I do pray that God hears their little prayers just like He heard mine 30 years ago. And I'm pretty sure that if the twins' prayers came into fruition, they like me will still be remembering God's awesomeness, 30 years from now.

Technorati Tags: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment